Thursday, March 4, 2010

"7 Days of Paradise" Day 2 - Did I mention my hubby is a fish?

 "7 Days of Paradise" Day 2 - Did I mention my hubby is a fish?
from Kimber King's Blog, "Life of a Wahm"
www.lifeofawahm.com

So last time I left, we were just going to bed after a long travel day and with great expectations with waking up and being able to see the beautiful resort we were staying at as well as see our beach for the very first time!

So 4:30 am rolls around and I'm wide awake!  (3 hours difference from Utah time) but I manage to drift back to sleep with the crashing of the waves outside.  We left our balcony door open and I think it was about 5:30 am that we actually heard a dang rooster crowing!  So funny!  I never knew that so many roosters and chickens just ran wild all over the island.

Around 6am we got out of bed and enjoyed some yummy fruit, smell of fresh coffee, my protein shake with a couple squirts of a NEW product that is designed to keep your water and body more alkaline.  Such a peaceful morning for me but Stew was on the move.  He was anxious to get the door to go check out a snorkeling cove just left our beach that one of the staff members told him about.

So, I wanted to do a little reading and just enjoy the sunrise as he ran out the door with his wetsuit, snorkeling gear and a giant smile on his face!

About 30 minutes later, I ventured down to the beach with my snorkeling gear just in awe of the scenery!
 
Just around the point is the snorkeling cove

So as I looked all over for Stew, all the sudden (about 200 yards) on the point, a blond lady was waving her hands back and forth towards me.  I looked behind me and thought maybe she was waving to this photographer behind me but as I walked closer towards the point she started waving me over and said, "you must be the cute blond wife from Utah!"  HUH? 

My hubby and her had visited for a while that morning and he told her to watch for me and the funniest part is that she said, "I've been keeping an eye on your husband."  She was from Idaho and such a cute lady.  Her husband was out on a kayak and it was their last day on the island and she was pretty sad.  She shared how she didn't want my hubby to be out there alone and you should never swim/snorkel alone or turn your back on the waves.  I thought she was a little bit over protective at first because didn't she know my husband... the one whose friends swears he has "9 lives!"  I have never really worried about him ever because if you know Stew, you know that he has got himself out of some pretty incredible challenges (including parasailing behind a boat and crashing, being accidentally pushed off a 3 story balcony and miraculously landing on the balcony directly below us--looking like a cirque du soleil act, getting caught and turned over and nearly pinned under a tree floating down a tube in the river (I survived that one too).  Anyway...you get the picture.

But as I watched the crashing waves, I did have some respect for them and was so glad she was there (even if Stew thought she was crazy).  I had just missed out in seeing a couple Sea Turtles that Stew came up on.  Dang!  That's what I get for taking my time in Maui!

So after a great visit with our new friend from Idaho, I put on my gear and jumped in....well more like crawled in.  It was a very difference experience than snorkeling in Cancun as they don't have waves that are crashing you around on the corral reefs.  As I went under, I just thanked God for the amazing beauty He had created under the oceans. Snorkeling is so crazy as you are out of the water one minute and then as you put your head under, it's like you have entered an entire different world!  It's so peaceful but still a little eerie for me.  The fish were amazing!  There was all kinds of colors and shapes and they must have been "tourist" fish because they just swarmed around and didn't scurry away at all! 

Anyway...after about an hour in that cove, I was done and ready for some beach time.  But not my hubby!  He's a FISH!  He was born for the Ocean and water, I swear.  At that same time, the waves started picking up a lot and it was looking pretty hard to exit out where we came in without getting way scratched up (Thank Heavens we had our wetsuits).  So Stew said, lets just snorkel around this point and then come out on the beach (no reefs to get beat up on).  Well, here's me.  I like the water and snorkeling but just like the plane, I am not a really relaxed snorkeler and I was pretty tired by that point.  But I followed Stew around but as we got pretty far out around the point and in deep water, I became really tired and glanced up at how far the beach still was and got a bit panicky... I saw a reef and the waves were just starting to get so powerful and so DUH I went over towards the reef thinking I could rest but as I got there, the waves just battered me around and I started getting really scared.  I got knocked around pretty good as Stew was yelling for me to just relax and get back in the water and get away from the reef, "you're going to get hurt!"

Lucky me...the beach combers were just arriving and I think they saw all the drama playing out!  I finally realized to just relax, and snorkel more and get under the water and move towards the beach and I was fine.  I know... I'm a dork.  But I am also a control freak and I realized I wasn't in control (something that I have been battling my whole life) and so I got panicked when I couldn't control the ocean waves.  But once I acknowledged God's majesty and power and said a prayer and just relaxed I was fine again but I did have a few battle wounds (on my first day)! 

That's not all.  I had sliced open my thumb and also got a baseball size bruise on my "butt" that I won't show you!  It stayed with me the whole week...gotta love that view in my bikini!

Anyway....I had a blast really through all of it and learned about me again about my need to control things I just can't!  In life and the ocean, you really just got to Let Go and Let God and just take actions you can without trying to resist what's happening!

Well...that's only the first part of Day 2 and my fingers are tired from typing so I am going to write more on Day 2 later!  Check back... I get to show you a really cool place we just stumbled upon that looked like a scene from "Lost."

Here's some more pics from that morning:






No comments:

Post a Comment